Monday 21 March 2011

Alphabeat - Fascination

This post is about ear piercing, working in a shop and family love.

I work in a shop opposite another that sells accessories (it's probably the one you're thinking of) and it also does ear piercing. When I get bored at work because it's not very busy or there's a lull, I get to people-watch and it's the most fascinating thing ever.

An adorable little family went into the shop before, a mum, a big brother, middle sister and little brother and the sister wanted to get her ears pierced for the first time. Mum spent a long time picking out the girl's very first earrings with her and when they settled on the right pair, the shop assistant spent a long time chatting to the little girl, putting her at ease and making side glances and winks at Mum to check she thought everything was okay.

The assistant draw the target marks on the girl's ears and the girl started to look a bit scared. The assistant invited Mum to check the blobs were even and the two other brothers checked too, the big brother coming up really close and putting his eyeball right up to both ears one at a time. He nodded firmly, and sister calmed down a bit.

The piercing gun was brought out and the little girl seemed to get scared again. It reminded me of when I got my first ear piercings and the dread of what it will feel like, then feeling the hot flick of the jewellery being stamped into your ear. Little brother handed his sister his teddy: a treasured possession of his in order to make his sister feel better. It was such a cute sight to see. Sister cheered up and the little brother looked so proud of himself, Mum praising him for being such a lovely boy.

And all of a sudden, the ears were pierced! The girl offered her little brother the bear back, but he kissed her cheek and let her keep it a while longer.

So sweet.

3 comments:

  1. I got my ears pierced at that age, too, but I don't remember how it happened. My mum and brother were there with me, too. I'm sure he wasn't being a lovely brother, though! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute is that! You've given me the bug now... I really want another piercing! Why are they so addictive? x

    ReplyDelete