Thursday 5 May 2011

David Bowie - Life On Mars?

So, I just voted. I voted "yes" to AV, as I explained in my previous entry. In the borough elections, there were 2 x Conservative candidates, 2 x UKIP, 2 x Independent and 3 x Labour. I voted for all 3 Labour candidates, purely because they were the most opposite to the Conservatives. No other reason, unfortunately, but I didn't want to waste my vote. Sad times. In the town elections, there were 3 Conservative candidates and 3 Independents. I wrote "NO CONFIDENCE IN ANY CANDIDATE" at the top and scribbled over the boxes. I hate doing that, but there was no one I wanted to vote for. I guess if that's the case then I should run for the post myself, but yeah right.




On entering the polling station, 2 ladies were stood at the front door and asked for the polling number on the front of my polling card, so I gave it to them, without thinking, as I've only voted at a polling station once before, I am used to using the postal vote. Then I thought "hang on, they're wearing rosettes, the bitchez!". I asked them to remove my number from their records as I don't appear on the edited register and I didn't want them to have my details. They obliged. It was so confusing though, I thought they were polling officials til I saw their cleverly hidden rosettes behind their closed jackets!



Please vote, people! I can't believe there were only 2 other people in the polling station apart from me, shocking! I went in at lunch time too, so thought it would be busy with people on their breaks, but no! I don't think people should be *forced* to vote, but people should definitely take more interest in it. If people were forced to vote, you'd get loads of spoiled ballots or people voting for a random person, which would not be helpful in the slightest. We live in a free country and have the civil right to vote, but the civil right to NOT vote, too. I know some people who refuse to vote for religious reasons, so to be forced to vote would be very upsetting for them. Please vote if you can though, even if you're just voting for the "best of a bad bunch".

No comments:

Post a Comment